What I'm about to tell you may seem insignificant and trivial, but I assure you it will be one of the most important pieces of knowledge I pass along to you. How to cook the PERFECT hard-boiled egg.
1. Place eggs in pot and cover with cold water.
2. Add a generous amount of baking soda to the water. The amount is dependent on the amount of eggs you have. I figure about 1 teaspoon per egg. You can't add too much. This will make sure the fresh eggs will peel easily.
3. Cover the pot, turn on the heat and bring to a boil. A full boil, not a simmer.
4. The second it begins to boil, remove from the heat and keep covered for 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, dump the hot cooking water and run cold water over the eggs.
6. Once they have cooled significantly, add a generous amount of ice and more cold water and let them sit for about 10 minutes. This will stop the cooking process and ensure that the egg yolks do not become tough or develop that nasty grey appearance. (That grey stuff is disgusting and the main reason why I find it difficult to eat eggs cooked by others.)
7. Peel the cool eggs (which will be much easier since you added the baking soda) and place in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
8. Eat, enjoy and think of me!